How to well sleep far from home?
Recent research on sleep has shown that many of us, although guests of prestigious 5-star facilities, cannot sleep well as if they were in their own bed at home.
Following these 2 simple tips, you can recreate the conditions for a refreshing sleep even away from home.
1) Make the bed environment similar to your home.
Firstly, try to make your hotel room as similar as possible to your room at home, for example by carrying your pillow (are you aware of travel pillows?) and objects that are always in plain sight in your room at home, like a couple of frames with photos of the best moments, your alarm clock, or a copy of the local newspaper.
2) Keep your pre-sleeping rituals, even far from home.
Try to do the same things you do every night at your home before going to sleep, such as:
- if you drink a herbal tea, try to drink it even away from home before going to sleep;
- if you were reading a book, take it with you and keep on reading a few pages before going to sleep (not too much though! Our advice is always to avoid reading before going to sleep!);
- if you usually take a shower before going to bed to relax and encourage your sleep, do it outside the house.
Keep giving your body the usual sleep preparation signals to which it’s used to when you’re at home, even if you’re thousands of miles away!